As we approach the warm weather, baking with a hot oven isn’t so inviting. Using the waffle iron is a fun alternative.
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 4 teaspoons baking powder
• 2 eggs
• 1 3/4 cups unsweetened coconut/
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• sprinkles of ground cinnamon
Add one of the following: (You may need to adjust the flour or liquids, depending on what you select to add in.)
• 1/2 cup of peanut butter
• 8 oz can of salmon (reduce the
milk if you use the salmon juice)
• ¾ cup of finely shredded cheese
• ¾ cup of bacon bits
• jar of organic baby food meat
Other Options for Sprinkles:
• ground ginger
• ground nutmeg
• parmesan cheese
• powdered carob
1. In a large bowl, mix together flour and baking powder; set aside. Preheat waffle iron to desired temperature.
2. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in the milk and vanilla. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture; beat until blended.
3. Ladle the batter onto a preheated waffle iron. Cook the waffles until golden and crisp. I don’t let mine get too crisp as I think the dogs enjoy them a bit doughy in the middle.
4. Sprinkle ground cinnamon on them when they first come out.
5. Since I have small dogs, I cut the waffles into small squares with a scissors. You can leave them larger for the bigger dogs.
Tip: I get cheap waffle irons from second hand stores. I have found some of the cutest irons shaped as bones and fire hydrants. This is especially great when you are baking with kids as they can have their own waffle iron and can select their own ingredients. Think up some additional ingredients and toppings ideas. Have fun!
By Chef Patti